EU market-based congestion management models
USEF’s DSO Workstream has been working since November 2016 to assess the challenges faced by European DSOs as a result of energy system transition. The primary challenge identified was how to manage current and future network congestion on the distribition grid as a result of more renewables and increased energy electrification.
This report presents an overview of a selection of existing European models that give DSOs the capability to perform congestion management in the distribution network. Models were selected and have been evaluated according to a fixed set of criteria. The models include regulatory frameworks, concepts, projects or platforms, or a combination thereof. The report aims to share learning across all DSOs and relevant system operators to assist with their own model development.
- 11 European market-based congestion management models assessed
- Covering 8 countries
- Model assessment includes:
- The specific challenges and load types addressed
- DSO roles and control mechanisms
- Market roles and interaction
- Congestion management detail
Download the full report here.